..and I thought there was only one church of the Saint in Goa i.e. at Old Goa (next to Se Cathedral). The only other place we saw the Saint (Francis de Assisi) was at the annual 'Santamchem Pursanv' at Goa-Velha.
Lot more I learnt about the Saint today.
Actually, I always got confused with the two Saints names 'St. Francis de Assisi and St. Francis Xavier
- Born in Italy 1182 and died in 1226 (Oct.3).
Where as St. Francis Xavier born in Spain 1506 and died 1552
- While at School we used to sing a popular hymn "Make me a channel of your peace.."
which I now know was actually the paryer of the Saint (see quote below)
- I also got confused every time it was talked about 'Franciscan order' which I always thought of SFX.
I have been to this place for the first time.
Very beautiful or scenic Colvale.
The Church is just on the Chapora river bank.
Infact, there are steps behind the church leading to the river.
The rear section of the Church can only be seen from the river in a boat or from across the river
The feast of Patron Saint St. Francis de Assisi celebrated today.
The Saint was the lover of nature inlcuding birds and animals.
One can see two birds perched on his hands (see video).
It was said that the Saint could see God through this wildlife.
The Prayer of the Saint
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
- After the feast mass, there was a traditional feast procession.
- Strangely, there was no 'festa Muzg' or brass band here.
More feast pics
Video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZR-UrG3D3o
Link HD http://youtu.be/0k6weL8fKa0?hd=1
Video 3 (The rear of the Church -The River)
video link HD http://youtu.be/YSnbnwfQTYg?hd=1